Friday, June 24, 2011

Laurel and Gunnar's Big Fat Greek (and Norse) Reception.

I stood around on the edge of things. Truth be told, I really don't like large gatherings like this, not one bit. I was in a sour mood, nursing a bitter bottle of Harp beer.

I was standing around with Jack and Nate. Last I looked, Aisling and Nevermore were laughing it up and having a good time.

I was only half-paying attention to Nate & Jack's conversation. Nate was going on and on about hooking up again with his ex-girlfriend Alli, how happy he had been to punch her douchebag current boyfriend in the face when he showed up. The nerve! Jack agreed.

Camila walked up, along with Ciara. It took me a second to notice Aisling perched on Ciara's shoulder.

"Why the long face, Brendan?", asked Camila quietly. Ciara said nothing.

I sighed and took another swig of Harp.

I looked at Camila and said "...do you believe those stories that you hear about couples...where they work alongside each other for years...they pine for finding the love of their life all alone, only to find they were right there all along?"

"I suppose it could happen, yeah.", said Camila noncommittally.

"Well,", I said, irritated, "I think it's bollocks. I can't think of a single female co-worker from GARDA or INTERPOL for whom I ever held more than a passing interest, nor any that looked at me with much interest either."

To my surprise, Aisling burst into tears and flew off Ciara's shoulder and away from me like a shot. Ciara looked at me, looked back at Aisling, looked back at me with an angry, disapproving look, then headed after Aisling, who was still speeding away...streaming a silvery mist behind her distinct from her hair. I thought that only a happened in Japanese anime....

"...what..?", I said, dropping my bottle of Harp, which shattered on the tile floor...

"Oh Feckin' hell!", I cursed softly.

I turned round but Camila was gone without a word. I found myself face to face with none other than Zeus himself. Nodding in the direction Aisling had gone, he asked me casually...

"...She's yours, right? That little sprite, I mean... Really added something to our little ceremony, a little bit of Tuatha charm...just wanted to thank you personally for encouraging her to participate...cute as a button, too."

"Yes, she is at that.", I agreed. "...a bit moody and willful at times...people say we bicker and argue like an old married couple...but then tell me it means they can tell we're close....I don't know if that's a sad commentary on the state of marriage as an institution or a compliment..."

Zeus declined to join me in speculation and just continued with the friendly questions....

"So your dad gave her to you, right?"

"That's right", I said. "When I was still a confused teen boy. Tried to hide her from my mum at first, but she was soon discovered. Luckily Dad never could keep secrets from my mum very well...she knows about all of this..."; I gestured broadly at the reception hall, indicating all the divine beings here.

"I've known Aisling for years and years...I think Sprites must age differently than mortal humans...she feels like someone who was a childhood friend...if life played out like a Japanese Anime, she'd be my soul mate or something..."

Zeus nodded and said "...Don't think I'm changing the subject, because I'm not, but I want to tell you a little story about a Greek man who once went by the name Pygmalion..."

No comments:

Post a Comment