Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Cliffs of Moher, entrance to Mag Mell

We decided that it wouldn't do to leave the Eye where it was. The last thing we wanted was for it to fall into mortal hands and end up in a museum where it would be easy pickings for the next Fomorian with bright ideas or any other ambitious Titanspawn who had done his or her homework on Irish lore.

I let the rural Irish family from County Sligo know that the all clear at been given and they could return to their country home. True to my word, I left my credit card info and opened a tab at the nearest pub and said each member of the family could have a pint of whatever they liked on me.

We made haste to the Cliffs of Moher, reaching them close to sundown that day. It was clear the park was closed for the day, the parking lots were empty, and most of the tourists were looking into where to have their evening meal and take in some traditional Irish music for their evening's entertainment.

The internet just doesn't do the Cliffs justice. They must be seen to be believed.
We knew this to be the way to Mag Mell, but just how wasn't precisely clear to us at the time.

We crossed over into the park but were accosted by individuals I took to be from the National Parks & Wildlife Service, in Irish Seirbhíse Páirceanna Náisiúnta agus Fiadhúlra (SPNF).

I pulled out my GARDA detective's badge, with the rank of Inspector clearly emblazoned on it.

"GARDA." I said, "...this is an official investigation."

The rather attractive dirty blond man who seemed to be in charge squinted at my ID and noticed that there were closed dates of service on the badge (which was true, since I was at present working for Interpol).

He also didn't like my accent.

"You're a long way from Dublin, copper; and it looks like you're not exactly on the GARDA payroll at the moment.", he sneered. "Care to try again?"

"Y'know, you're right...I keep forgetting when I'm back in Ireland I still have to show THIS.", presenting my Interpol ID, with active dates.

The man tilted his head back and laughed a deep belly laugh...then looked at me sharply "and if INTERPOL needs to be investigatin' these here Cliffs, then I'm the next feckin' pope I am...clear out of here, and take your stinkin' clueless Yankee friends with ye." He took a look at Laurel and said "We don't want your kind around here."

"You FECKIN' racist gobshite...!" I flustered..."...you ignorant feckin' culchie and self-important National Parks & Wildlife two-bit pen-pusher...." I bellowed...

His face turned red and he clenched his fist, but before he could swing at me Laurel gently took him by the other arm and said persuasively "Let's talk...I've come all the way from America to see these cliffs...I'm just a California girl, what can I possibly do to harm your national treasure here...?"

They continued walking into the sunset, nearing the Cliff's edge.

I was distracted at that moment when one of the Scion girls Nate and I had talked to in prison back in the 'States--I forget which one--came bounding up out of breath and talking really fast about how Nate had sent her from Russia to warn about something or other and...

About that time our friend from the National Parks & Wildlife Service had returned and was reaching for a gun and I stood between him and the girl and said "She's cool, she's with us."; He put the gun away slowly, then extended his hand to me.

"Name's Derek. Scion of Lugh."

I shook his massive hand, and he squeezed pretty damn hard.

"Brendan," I said, "Brendan O'Shea. I really am a GARDA Inspector and I really am presently with INTERPOL, but I'm also a Scion of Ogma..."

"Tuatha..." he said with a nod and a smile.

Derek's smile drained away when we explained to him about why we were here, that we had the Eye in tow, etc. He motioned for us to follow him to the edge of the Cliffs.
As we walked, he gave us an update on Mag Mell and explained his duty is to guard the entrance; he was duty bound by a holy Geas to do so.

Derek explained that to reach Mag Mell, we had only to think of it and then step off the cliff; that simple, really.

"Right. Off I go then." said Gunnar, who was hefting the Eye of Balor, and jumped right off the cliff without another word.

Derek was dumbfounded and taken aback...

"...is he crazy?! He must be out of his head!", Derek managed at last.

"We know." I said, with a shrug. "Damned Ostmen, what are you going to do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment