Sunday, June 19, 2011

Caleb goes Down

I guess I remembered my basic field concealment lessons from my time in the Irish Ranger Wing and my UN deployments in Africa and Asia. All of us, even Jack, managed to conceal ourselves adequately to set up a decent ambush on our Fomorian foe.

We unleashed a volley of .223 calibre hell that mainly annoyed Caleb and caused him to jump off his motorbike and assume a fighting stance.

Jack took this as an invitation and performed an impressive flying leap, driving his knees down hard on Caleb's thick skull, followed by his fists. That dealt some real damage and Caleb bit some dirt after that. Caleb bull-rushed Jack, grabbing his head and using it like a bowling ball. The rest of us charged in at that point.
I hurled Gae Bolga straight and true, but it merely glanced off the Fomorian and clattered uselessly on the dry bed of the loch.

I cursed then took a flying leap but interrupted my arc and activated my flying ability...my tatoo glowed a soft blue underneath my clothes and I hung there in midair, took a bead on Caleb, and let loose with another volley of fully automatic rifle fire, again to no effect.

Camila took aim and let loose with her Barrett sniper rifle, but Caleb shrugged off even that .50 calibre round. Jack continued to trade blows with Caleb, and Gunnar jumped into the act, clenching Caleb and holding him so Jack could get in more effective blows with his fists. Nate jumped in and grabbed Caleb as well.
Gunnar had had to let go of his axe to get his arms round Caleb, so Laurel rushed up, grabbed the axe and swung it at Caleb, but the blade glanced off his rock-like Fomorian skin. I advanced closer and emptied the magazine on the M-4 carbine, again to no effect. I threw down the carbine and pulled up my pistol-grip shotgun on its sling, racked the slide and fired pointblank. Again the feckin' Fomorian gobshite shrugged off a blast from a 12 gauge buck-shot round like it was a mosquito bite...

Hell with it; I jumped in and put a police hold on Caleb myself. We may not be able to deal much damage but we can hold him down and keep him from acting, too. Gunnar managed to rifle through Caleb's pockets, found the key and a leatherbound journal and then jumped away, grabbed Caleb's motorcycle, gunned the engine, and headed for the horizon. Nate also had a stroke of luck and managed to not only shoot Caleb's obsidian Katana out of his hands but grab it himself. Try as he might, Caleb could not get it back from Nate, who taunted him in a very deadly game of "keep away". He cursed the worst curses I've ever heard in either Gaelic or English and will not be repeating here. Fully spent, Laurel was able to lock eyes with Caleb and transfix him with her Serpent's gaze.

"Your turn, Brendan. Payback time." said Laurel with a wicked grin.

I grabbed Gae Bolga from the dusty bed of the Loch and rammed it into Caleb's chest. I could feel the spear unleash its many spines inside Caleb's torso. Still fixed in Laurel's gaze, utterly unable to oppose me, I ripped Gae Bolga out of Caleb, along with several internal organs. Caleb's eyes went glassy and he toppled over and Nate swung down with the Katana and lopped his head off, while Jack stomped Caleb's torso, breaking back ribs and making a fine mess.

We were enveloped in a cloud of poisonous gas as Caleb's body half disintegrated, half exploded...it's the Fomorian way of death and not unexpected...

We debated whether or not to remove the Eye from its resting place, but it was clear from all the equipment lying around that this Irish scientific team was well on their way to finding it themselves if we didn't, and that just wouldn't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment