Saturday, April 30, 2011

Live and Let Die, Redux, Part 3.

Entire feckin' corner of Odette's hovel of a home had been ripped asunder, and the rest of it was rapidly catching fire, smoke pouring out of every corner...

Jack rushed around one side, with Camilla on his heels, and to my astonishment, Laurel ran straight into the burning building. I took flight and headed around on the opposite side.

I could hear quite a commotion going on at the rear of the house. Then I saw it...one big, very ugly Fomorian, crashing about in what was left of Odette's back yard.

It all happened so fast, so I can't remember precisely, but I think Laurel managed to rescue Odette's pet bird and some how pass it to Nate, who lept with it onto the back fence, then set it down on the other side of the fence to resume his battle with the Fomorian. Jack, too, I could see, was pounding away at the bastard.

Laurel emerged from the burning building, much of her clothing burned away, but physically unscathed, a shining beacon of beauty I shall remember to my final days.

She commanded the Fomorian's attention and he stood transfixed. This gave Nate and Jack and Camilla the edge they needed to bring down the Fomorian. I felt a twinge of disappointment that Gae Bolga did not get to taste Fomorian flesh this time. I began to draw up closer until I saw a gaseous cloud erupt from where the Fomorian had stood...it looked fairly poisonous so I held back my advance to wait for it to clear and dissipate. When it did, I noticed, sadly, that Odette's bird had fallen silent...Laurel informed us later it had succumbed to the poison. Nate and Jack had been hardy enough to resist the effects, but the poor bird, alas, was not so lucky.

Laurel re-entered the burning house and retrieved the headless corpse of Odette and laid it upon the ground a safe distance away. I removed my GARDA duty jacket and placed it respectfully over the body of our late friend and gracious hostess. Now there would be two funerals to attend, alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment